UTSA Limited Submission Process
Sponsoring agencies occasionally limit the number of applications/nominations the University may submit for specific grants and awards. When a call for proposals is "limited", the Office of Vice President for Research uses an internal selection process to determine which application(s) will be submitted to the sponsor for funding consideration. Limited submission grants should be considered as institutional and demonstrate benefits to UTSA.
We strive to ensure that the process for selecting these proposals is transparent and fair and that the process does not overburden the researcher or reviewers charged with selecting the most competitive proposals to represent the UTSA.
I. Identification of Opportunities (Announcements)
Announcements of limited submission opportunities will be collected from Community of Science (click here to view a complete list of opportunities).
- To receive notifications directly from the Community of Science or for tailoring the announcements to your needs, please click here
- The announcements will be monitored by the designated Limited Submission Liaison, RSC Directors and the Office of Research Support for targeted distribution to appropriate colleges and faculty
- If you become aware of an announcement that is not listed, please contact your RSC Director.
II. Solicitation for Applications
RSC Directors will solicit concept papers from their faculty using the revised limited submission template, which will include the sponsor agency, UTSA criteria, and a timeline for the internal review process.
III. Preparation of Concept Papers
The interested faculty will prepare a "concept paper".
Concept Papers should include the following:
- Limited Submission Application add link to application here
- NIH or NSF biographical sketch or two (2) page CV
- Budget Summary for the entire project - Please use and include the last page of the "FY 13 General Budget Template/NIH Budget Template"
- Project Description
Please include existing resources/capabilities/previous experience that will make the proposal competitive. Limit to two (2) pages.
Please address the following questions:
- Is there responsiveness to the guidelines set forth by the funding agency?
- How does the project benefit UTSA?
- Is there potential for far-reaching impact in the college or across multiple colleges? Is there sufficient interdisciplinary representation?
- Is it aligned with the strategic research plan of the respective college and the University?
Limit to two (2) pages, single space, 1 inch margins
All concept papers must be routed through the respective College and approved by the Associate Dean of Research. Signatures must be obtained on the Limited Submission Application.
Once the concept paper has received the necessary approvals and signatures, it is forwarded to the respective RSC Director. The RSC Directors will forward the approved concept papers to the Limited Submission Liaison.
V. Review & Scoring
Concept papers will be uploaded to RowdySpace and forwarded to the Limited Submission Review Panel.
Limited Submission Review Panel Composition 2013
Research Advisory Board
Associate Deans of Research
*Domain Experts (ad hoc) will be invited when necessary.
Using the scoring matrix form, the Limited Submission Review Panel will score the concept papers and will include feedback with recommendation to the Assistant Vice President for Research Support.
VI. Selection Notification
The tabulated scores will be forwarded to the faculty with feedback and critiques.