UTSA Limited Submission Process
Sponsoring agencies occasionally limit the number of applications/nominations the University may submit for specific grants and awards. When a call for proposals is "limited", the Office of Vice President for Research uses an internal selection process to determine which application(s) will be submitted to the sponsor for funding consideration. Limited submission grants should be considered as institutional and demonstrate benefits to UTSA.
We strive to ensure that the process for selecting these proposals is transparent and fair and that the process does not overburden the researcher or reviewers charged with selecting the most competitive proposals to represent the UTSA.
I. Identification of Opportunities (Announcements)
A list of limited submission opportunities is available on Community of Science (click here to view a complete list of opportunities).
- To receive notifications directly from the Community of Science or for tailoring the announcements to your needs, please see instructions for Pivot-Community of Science located on the website (here).
II. Once identified, interested faculty will notify email@example.com
III. Preparation of Concept Papers
The interested faculty will prepare a "concept paper".
Concept Papers should include the following:
- Limited Submission Application Form
- Biographical Sketch or two (2) page CV for all Key Personnel
- Budget for the entire project:
a. For the budget, please use the last page of the "FY 14 UTSA Budget Template".
- Project Description- Limit to two (2) pages, single space, 1 inch margins, no smaller than Arial 11pt
In your Project Description, please include existing resources/capabilities/previous experience that will make the proposal competitive. Please address the following questions:
- Is there responsiveness to the guidelines set forth by the funding agency?
- How does the project benefit UTSA?
- Is there potential for far-reaching impact in the college or across multiple colleges? Is there sufficient interdisciplinary representation?
- Is it aligned with the strategic research plan of the respective college and the University?
All concept papers must be routed through the respective College and approved by the Associate Dean of Research and Chair. Signatures must be obtained on the Limited Submission Application Form.
Once the concept paper has received the necessary signatures, it is forwarded to the respective RSC Director. The RSC Director’s will forward the concept paper application packet to the Office for Research Support.
V. Review & Scoring
The review panel will be identified once the applications are received.
Limited Submission Review Panel Composition 2013
Research Advisory Board
Associate Deans of Research
*Domain Experts (ad hoc) will be invited when necessary.
Using the scoring matrix form, the Limited Submission Review Panel will score the applications and will include feedback with recommendations to the Assistant Vice President for Research Support.
VI. Selection Notification
The tabulated scores will be forwarded to the faculty with feedback and critiques.