The Office of Research Support provides customized services for large, multidisciplinary funding proposals that are aligned with UTSA’s Accelerate 2025: Framework for Top Tier Research (PDF). Many, though not all, of supported proposals will have been selected through the Limited Submission process to represent UTSA. Examples of the kind of proposals eligible for ORS support include center grants, institutional training grants, and infrastructure-building grants. The services will vary according to the needs of the proposal writing team; illustrative examples include:
- Request for Proposals (RFP) analysis and feedback on strategy
- Liaison with funding agencies to clarify funding priorities and agency requirements
- Help with identifying collaborators
- Reviewer feedback analysis and guidance on resubmissions
- Coordination of project team meetings to finalize project description (narrative): review roles and responsibilities, develop narrative task assignments, and set internal deadlines
Grantsmanship Editing & Review
- Full grantsmanship review of proposal drafts to include feedback on responsiveness to funding agency priorities, organization, readability, and grammar
- Coordination of external peer review of proposal drafts
- Guidance with non-technical proposal components, including education and outreach plans, evaluation plans, data and resource management plans, mentoring plans, facilities and institutional resource descriptions, letters of commitment, budget justifications, schematic illustrations, logic models, and organization charts
Relation to Research Service Centers
The Office of Research Support’s proposal development team offers services for limited institutional applications in addition to the Research Service Centers’ pre-award services. The Research Service Centers are responsible for the review, endorsement, and submission of proposals on behalf of the University. Proposals for sponsored projects must be routed and submitted through a Research Service Center. The ORS coordinates fully with the RSCs to assist with the preparation and submission of proposals of the highest quality.
Request for Assistance
Please submit a Request for Assistance well in advance of the agency’s proposal deadline. We will respond within 1-3 business days. The ORS recommends advanced notice of 2-3 months for large, complex proposals. Requests for Assistance are prioritized according to several factors, including alignment with UTSA strategic priorities, budget size, complexity, multidisciplinarity, timeliness, and current ORS staff capacity.
Grants Development Resources for Individual Researchers
The Office of Research Support (ORS) offers a variety of grants development resources for individual researchers. Resources include funding search tools, grant writing resources, and faculty workshops. Please contact us to suggest additional resources or to discuss needs specific to your research.