Research Funding, Facilities and Support for Innovative Ideas and Initiatives
UTSA Research has an ambitious strategy for growth that builds on a robust research and entrepreneurial ecosystem. This includes:
- Academic programs that spur entrepreneurship, technology management and development, and commercialization and technology transfer.
- Research administration and research integrity support through the Office of the Vice President for Research
- The Office of Commercialization and Innovation offers a clear invention disclosure and patenting process assistance, as well as a structure to help researchers explore licensing partners.
- A generous royalty policy, by higher education standards, that allows UTSA researchers to split revenue from license fees and royalties with the University 50/50.
- A New Venture Incubator to help UTSA faculty and students move their ideas to the marketplace.
- A regional network of C-suite executives that partner with and support UTSA research through the Commercialization Council, as well as partnerships through SBIR, STTR and ETF.
The efforts have proven successful. In five years, the number of new invention disclosures has nearly tripled, patent filings have increased from three to 76 and incubated companies have grown from three to 13.