What must be included in my Disclosure of Financial Interest under the Research Conflict of Interest and Intellectual Property policy (HOP 10.04)?
Disclose all relationships with outside entities and the receipt of anything of monetary value (e.g., consulting fees, honoraria, salary, royalties, equity, stock, stock options) that meet the following criteria:
- could reasonably appear to the general public as related to your institutional responsibilities (professional duties on behalf of UTSA, such as teaching, research, and service for UTSA faculty), and
- were held or received in the past 12 months by you or
- were held or received in the past 12 months by a related person (spouse/domestic partner, dependent children/step-children, and other related persons with whom you are financially interdependent
Disclose all “Significant Financial Interests” in the following categories:
- Renumeration (including payments, income, consulting fees, honoraria, paid authorship, etc.) only if:
- The total of payments and equity held exceeds $5,000 if the source is a publicly traded entity OR
- Payments exceed $5,000 if the source is a non-publicly traded entity (such as a start-up company).
- Equity (including stock, stock options, shares, and other ownership interests) only if:
- The total of remuneration and equity held exceeds $5,000 if the source is a publicly traded entity OR
- The equity is held in a non-publicly traded entity.
- Travel reimbursements and sponsored travel (including reimbursements and sponsored travel paid on your behalf) as follows:
- If you have requested or received any funding from NIH/PHS in the past 12 months, disclose all travel payments.
- Intellectual property rights (e.g., patents, copyrights) and an royalties and other payments
What is excluded under the Research Conflict of Interest policy (HOP 10.04)?
You do NOT have to disclose:
- Any interests or activities that do not appear to be related to your professional responsibilities on behalf of UTSA,
- Salary, royalties, travel reimbursement, or other remuneration paid by UTSA,
- Income from seminars, lectures, teaching engagements, service on an advisory committee or review panel and travel reimbursements or sponsored travel from:
- U.S. federal, state, or local governments,
- U.S. institutions of higher education, academic teaching hospitals, medical centers, or
- Research institutes affiliated with a U.S. institution of higher education, and
- Income from certain investment vehicles (e.g., mutual funds, retirement accounts) if you do not directly control the investment decisions.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org