The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) recognizes that budget revisions/transfer of funds are sometimes necessary to appropriately re-allocate budgets for support of allowable costs on a sponsored project.
In order to meet revision of budget plan requirements according to sponsor guidelines or the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Uniform Guidance, 2 CFR Part 200 – Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards, review of requests for budget revisions is necessary.
Budget Plan: The financial expression of the project as approved by the funding agency and related to the performance of the project.
Transfer of Funds/Budget Revision: The process by which a change in the established budget plan is made. The transfer of funds between categories within a project.
Requests for budget revisions/transfer of funds involving a sponsored project are made using the Transfer of Funds Request Form.
Principal Investigator/Project Director (PI/PD)
- Identify a need to revise the approved budget within the sponsored project account and communicate with his/her Research Service Center (RSC)
- Request support staff initiate Transfer of Funds Request Form.
- Approve and sign Transfer of Funds Request Form.
Preparer of Transfer of Funds Request Form
- Initiate and complete the Form, including PI signature and justification with any appropriate supporting documents, and submit the Transfer of Funds Request Form to the RSC.
Office of Sponsored Project Administration (OSPA)/Research Service Center (RSC)
Research Award Administrator (RAA)
- Review the Transfer of Funds Request Form and compare against the approved budget and requirements of the Uniform Guidance, 2 CFR Part 200 or sponsor guidelines.
- Recipients are required to report deviations from budget plans, and request prior approvals for budget revisions as necessary. Prior approval from the sponsor is required for the following:
- Change in a key person specified in the application or award document
- Change in the scope or the objective of the project or program (even if there is no associated budget revision requiring prior written approval).
- The absence for more than three months, or a 25 percent reduction in time devoted to the project, by the approved project director or principal investigator.
- The transfer of amounts budgeted for indirect costs to absorb increases in direct costs, or vice versa, if approval is required by the awarding agency.
- The transfer of funds allotted for training allowances (direct payment to trainees) to other categories of expense
- Per the specified terms and conditions indicated in the sponsor’s award notice.
- Review award terms and conditions of specific sponsored project or Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP) requirements to determine if the budget revision/transfer of funds requires the funding agency’s prior approval.
- If prior approval is required submit a written request to the agency or process the request electronically through the authorized organizational representative (RSC Director).
- If prior approval is not required and the request meets Uniform Guidance 2 CFR 200 guidelines or sponsor guidelines, then the RAA can approve the Transfer of Funds Request Form and submit the Transfer of Funds Request Form to the RSC Director.
- Notify the PI/PD and Preparer when the transfer is complete.
- Provide a secondary review of all requests for budget revisions/transfer of funds.
- Submit or sign official request to be submitted to sponsor, if sponsor prior approval is required.
- Approve and sign the Transfer of Funds Request Form, if complete and accurate.
- Forward Transfer of Funds Request Form to Grants and Contracts Financial Services (GCFS).
Grants and Contracts Financial Services (GCFS)
- Enter and post budget adjustments into UTSA’s official financial system as indicated on the Transfer of Funds Request form.
Office of Sponsored Project Administration
- Develop and maintain guidelines and procedures with all applicable policies and regulations