The Principal Investigator (PI) is expected to complete a sponsored program within the approved period of performance or award period. When circumstances prevent a PI from completing the scope of work within the award period, the PI may request a no-cost extension to extend the period of performance of the award, using unexpended funds, for up to an additional twelve (12) months beyond the end date. Such a request is called a no-cost extension (NCE).
A request for an NCE must be received and approved by a PI’s Research Service Center (RSC) before the award officially ends. No-cost extension requests should be made for programmatic reasons only. Explanations for a request may include:
- Additional time beyond the established expiration date is required to assure adequate completion of the originally approved project.
- The extension is necessary to permit an orderly phase out of a project that will not receive continued support.
- A late start to the project due to circumstances beyond the control of the principal investigator necessitates an extended end date.
The fact that funds remain at the expiration of the grant is not sufficient justification for a no-cost extension.
Principal Investigator (PI)
- Review sponsor policies on no-cost request and applicable deadlines.
- Review budget expenditure balances and expense projections.
- If a no-cost extension request is allowed by the sponsor, follow procedures established by the Office of Sponsored Project Administration (OSPA) to formally initiate the NCE process.
- Submit a budget which covers the funds available for the extension period.
- If there is a change in PI effort to be charged to the award or a change in the scope of work during the extension period, provide a justification for the proposed change.
Office of Sponsored Project Administration (OSPA)/Research Service Center (RSC)
Research Award Administrator
- Assist in interpretation of applicable sponsor guidelines as they pertain to requests for no cost extensions. In general, awards issued under federal expanded authorities and the Federal Demonstration Partnership are allowed a one-time no-cost extension for up to twelve (12) months.
- Once the NCE is approved, submit award modification through the RSC Director to Grants and Contracts Financial Services.
- Review and approve request or, when applicable, submit NCE request to funding agency.
Office of Sponsored Project Administration
- Develop and maintain guidelines and procedures in accordance with applicable policies and regulations
No-Cost Extension Request
- If less than 25% of the original award will remain in the account at the end of the period of performance, the PI must submit an email request or Request for No-Cost Extension Form to his/her RSC.
- The request must include a brief justification for the NCE. If the PI’s effort will change, a justification for that change should be included in the request.
- A budget and budget narrative should be included based on funds available.
- The request must be made prior to the end date of the award and with sufficient time for the RSC to review, approve, and notify the funding agency, usually ten days before an award is ending. However, some agencies require additional time to process no-cost extension requests.
- If more than 25% of the original award will remain in the account at the end of the period of performance or there will be a change in the scope of work, the PI should complete a Request for No-Cost Extension Form.
- Any additional documentation, including a budget and budget narrative must be included with the form.
- The requested signatures as shown on the form must be obtained and the completed form must be sent to the PI’s RSC for review.
- The request must be made prior to the end date of the award and with sufficient time for the RSC to review, approve, and notify the funding, usually ten days before an award is ending. However, some agencies require additional time to process no-cost extension requests.
No-Cost Extension Request Review and Approval
- The PI’s RSC will review the completed request.
- A decision will be made based on the following:
- Justification for the request
- Sponsor guidelines
- Once approved by the RSC, the RSC will determine the necessary course of action to proceed based on the sponsor’s requirements regarding no-cost extensions.
- 4. When all approvals are completed, the RSC will process an Award Modification Request Form and submit the update to the Office of Grants and Contracts Financial Services (GCFS) authorizing them to extend the award period within the UTSA official accounting system.
|No Cost Extension Request Form (PDF)|