Principal Investigators (PIs) wanting to incur costs before a grant is officially funded by the federal government may request that a pre-award account be established by their Research Service Center (RSC). In setting up a pre-award account PIs will need to complete a pre-award account request form and attach documentation of a commitment from the funding sponsor that they intend to fund the grant. In addition, an institutional account (e.g. an F&A account, a Department account, etc.) must be identified to cover costs should the grant not be funded. All costs incurred on a pre-award account must meet the same criteria as costs incurred after an award arrives.
Pre-award Account: An account established on a grant to allow costs on a project up to 90 days prior to the award start date, or if determined to benefit the institution, an account established before the award process has been completed in order to facilitate the start of work on a project.
Principal Investigator (PI)
- Initiate the process of requesting a pre-award account.
- Identify institutional account for expenditures to be transferred to should the award not be issued or unauthorized costs are incurred.
- Obtain the signatures of Chair or Center/Institute Director and Dean.
- Submit the form and documentation to their RSC.
Chair or Center/Institute Director and Dean
- Review and approve request for a pre-award account.
- Approve use of institutional account(s), as necessary, for expenditures to be transferred should the award not be issued or unauthorized costs are incurred.
Office of Sponsored Project Administration (OSPA) / Research Service Center (RSC)
- Review and approve requests
- Authorize the Office of Grants and Contracts Financial Services to set up the pre-award account using the New Award – Pre-Award Setup Request Form.
- Initiate full account set up of funded pre-award projects upon receipt of fully executed award documents.
Grants and Contracts Financial Services (GCFS)
- Set up pre-award accounts.
- Upon receipt of an Award Modification Request Form from OSPA/RSC, complete a full account set up for funded pre-award accounts.
Pre-Award Account Request
The PI is responsible for completion of the form to request a pre-award account in order to begin work on a project up to 90 days prior to the start date of a grant. This form can also be used to request a 90 day pre-award account in order to expense funds prior to completion of the award process.
Documentation of a commitment from the funding sponsor must be attached and an institutional source of funding identified to cover expenditures should be provided in case the award is not issued or unauthorized costs are incurred. The requested signatures must be obtained and the completed form with attachments must be sent to his/her RSC for review and approval.
Pre-award accounts are normally restricted to 90 days and limited to 25% of funds anticipated for year one of the grant.
Pre-Award Account Request Review
- The PI’s Research Service Center will review the completed request.
- A decision to approve will be made based on the following:
- Sponsor documentation
- Justification for the request
- Verification that an alternate institutional account was provided and money is available to cover the pre-award budget.
- Once a request is approved, the RSC will forward the request to GCFS to set up a pre-award account.
- Once a fully executed award document is received, the RSC will process an award set up request to fully fund the project based on the award amount and budget period specified in the award notice.
Pre-Award Account Monitoring
- The pre-award account will be reviewed by the RSC 45 days prior to expiration to evaluate the status of the award document and determine if additional information is needed.
- The pre-award account will be reviewed by the RSC 20 days prior to expiration and the PI notified the pre-award account will end in 20 days.
- Should the grant not be funded or unallowable expenditures are incurred, the costs will be transferred to the institutional account identified on the form.
|Pre-Award Account Request Form (PDF)|