From Inception to Completion, Facilitating Your Path Through Funded Research
Contact Us: (210) 458-5976
Meet the Team
Jennifer directs the RSC activities under the guidance of the VPR and deans as well as the faculty advisory panel. She is a Certified Research Administrator (CRA) and has been with UTSA since 1998. Her specialty is post-award administration for all types of programs and sponsors and she gained extensive experience through the coordination of successful audits of programs, including a federal IG audit. As the RSC director, she requires a high level of service of the staff while fostering a team spirit in which individual strengths are encouraged for the overall benefit of the faculty’s research endeavors.
- Oversight and management of the RSC staff, processes, and research activities
- Confirms compliance with Federal, State, sponsor, and UTSA terms and guidelines
- Serves as the chief liaison and authorized official on all sponsored funding grants/contracts submitted through the RSC: COLFA/COB/Honors
- Serves as the chief liaison to other RSC’s, VPR offices, Grants and Contracts, Accounting, Deans, Departments and all other units supported by the RSC: COLFA/COB
- Oversight and management of the RSC: COLFA/COB/Honors Faculty Advisory Panel (FAP)
- Provides final approval on all sponsored grants/contracts transactions
- Reviews and approves service/participant/speaker agreements on sponsored grants/contracts
RAA Post Award III
Margot Oviedo is currently the Research Award Administrator (Post Award), assisting in a team effort to coordinate and direct sponsor funded programs in the COLFA, COB, Honors College, and VPR support units. She joined the team shortly after successfully completing efforts as a research coordinator of the Read Malawi! (USAID) grant funded program (2010-2012). Her professional experience expands in both the profit and not-for profit sectors. While working for the private sector, she was able to integrate the automated benefits system of the Texas Workforce Commission and knowledge of the unemployment laws to conduct unemployment adjudications. Ms. Oviedo has provided research support, in a US Department of Housing and Urban Development grant (2004), to address issues on the Westside of San Antonio, Texas ($1.3 million over a 3-year cycle). While working with the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (2008-2009), Ms. Oviedo undertook grant writing training; supporting research in a DSHS grant funded program; and managing an HIV/STD prevention program focused upon High Risk Heterosexual Females. She scheduled and conducted a scientific evidence based curriculum to participants, developed baseline and exit surveys, data entry, and prepared quarterly reports. For research purposes, she established SPSS databases for outcome monitoring. Dedicated to providing service, Ms. Oviedo was the Administrator for a not-for profit organization, The Woman at the Well House, a transitional home for women recently released from prison (2009). Ms. Oviedo was responsible for the development of policy & procedures, oversaw fiscal activities of the organizations, as well as maintained relationships with the US Department of Criminal Justice. Ms. Oviedo oversaw the development of program curriculums, maintained fidelity of program activity, and maintained database(s). Ms. Oviedo earned her Masters of Science in Sociology degree in 2008 from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Fundraising throughout her career required collaboration with several organizations and agencies to provide partnerships and program trainings for clients, staff, and the public. As Research Award Administrator, Ms. Oviedo continues to devote her effort in attempting to enrich the lives of people in all communities, as well as support the University of Texas at San Antonio in becoming a tier one research university.
- Administration and monitoring of sponsored grants/contracts for COB and VPR support units (et. al)
- Assists with fiscal, accounting, compliance and budgeting needs/requirements
- New Award Set-Up and assistance with award terms and conditions
- Reviews and approves or initiates all sponsored grant/contract transactions and no-cost extension requests
- Assists with travel preparations and reimbursements
- Liaison with sponsors on post-award questions/issues
**Margot is also instrumental in finding funding opportunities for both COLFA and COB and facilitating collaborations with UTSA researchers and external agencies outside of UTSA. Margot also is the facilitator and presenter at the Department “Meet and Greet” sessions.